Closing Date: February 3, 2021
- Are you an innovative scientist or social scientist with strong critical thinking skills? Can you think strategically, seeing the bigger picture and looking ahead? Would you enjoy a role that can really make a difference to New Zealand’s environment, economy and way of life
- Biosecurity intelligence is an emerging discipline that integrates science with the analysis of the human behaviours that influence the global spread of pests and diseases. MPI’s Biosecurity Intelligence team is responsible for providing operational and strategic biosecurity intelligence to decision makers. The team operate an early warning system by monitoring offshore biosecurity threats and issuing timely warnings of developing or changing threats.
- The Biosecurity Intelligence Analysts (BIAs) within the team come from a variety of backgrounds and work collaboratively to fuse their collective understanding of science and humanities with intelligence frameworks and methodologies. Each BIA develops an in-depth understanding of aspects of the global biosecurity threat environment and the ability to understand what alterations in that environment may mean for New Zealand. This understanding is then communicated to decision makers within the biosecurity system through written products or verbal briefings.
- As the successful applicant you’ll hold a post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline of life science, social science or intelligence. Relevant disciplines include epidemiology, entomology, aquatic health, ecology, plant or veterinary pathology, microbiology, molecular biology, sociology, psychology, anthropology, human geography or strategic intelligence.
- What are we looking for?
- You’ll have had experience planning, leading and successfully delivering research or assessments.
- You’ll be skilled in working collaboratively with colleagues from other disciplines and you’ll enjoy developing and maintaining networks with the wider government, academic and intelligence communities.
- You will be comfortable working with ambiguity and able to readily adapt to changing requirements.
- Previous intelligence experience is desirable but not essential, training in intelligence techniques and tradecraft will be provided as part of the role.
- The salary for this role is circa $75k to $89k depending on skills and experience.
- The successful applicant must be able to obtain a higher level security clearance.
- Most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in NZ for at least the last ten (10) years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last ten (10) years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
- click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-check tool.
- If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
- Applications close: Wednesday 3 February 2021.
For more Information: Click here