Closing Date: July 4, 2021
- Do you thrive on developing effective relationships and negotiating with stakeholders to determine their intelligence priorities?
- Are you skilled in providing coaching, mentoring and advice to intelligence analysts to build team capability?
- 1 position that can be based at either Auckland CBD or close to Auckland Airport.
Kōrero mō te tūranga – About the Role
As a Senior Analyst in the Intelligence & Targeting Team, you will be responsible for planning, leading, and delivering intelligence products to target risk, or develop insight into risks and non-compliance across import pathways. Your work will directly inform tactical, operational, and strategic decision makers across Biosecurity New Zealand.
You will be based within the Integrated Targeting & Operations Centre (ITOC) at Custom House in Auckland’s CBD, working alongside intelligence and targeting professionals in MPI, and with other key government agencies.
This is a role with variety and a range of activities to keep you busy and stimulated. Our team has robust career pathways and room to add value across the Function, the Ministry and the broader public sector. If you are a self-motivated professional looking for a role with variety, challenge, and the opportunity to advance your career we would love to hear from you.
Mōu – About You
As the successful applicant, you will be able to:
- Keep track of domestic and global issues that continue to challenge New Zealand Biosecurity.
- Derive insights from complex data sources, using intelligence methodologies and data analysis tools and techniques.
- Negotiate with stakeholders and decision makers, to determine requirements and priorities for intelligence products.
- Provide coaching, mentoring, and advice to analysts within the team to ensure their success.
- Provide ongoing quality assurance and peer review to support performance, delivering training to contribute to the enhancement of our intelligence capability.
- Maintain appropriate standards and professionalism including seeking feedback from customers on the quality and timeliness of intelligence.
- Proactively engage with, and establish productive relationship networks across MPI, wider government and industry.
- Provide intelligence support to other MPI functions including Food Safety, Forestry, Fisheries, Animal Welfare, Trade, and MPI/All of Government responses where required.
Strong written and verbal communication skills are a key component of this role and proven coaching, mentoring and peer support in intelligence fundamentals are essential. The successful applicant must have well-developed interpersonal and relationship management skills.
With remote working arrangements encouraged due to COVID-19, and as part of a regionally dispersed workforce, the successful applicant must be able to work unsupervised and navigate through ambiguity to find innovative solutions.
Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru – Security checks
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in NZ for at least the last ten (10) years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last ten (10) years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
- click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-checktool.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Salary – Utu
Salary range for this role is Band E: $75,758 to $89,127 depending on skills and experience.
Mō tō mātou rōpū – About the Team
At Biosecurity New Zealand, our focus is on stopping unwanted pests and diseases at the border, before they get to New Zealand, and eradicating or managing the impact of those already here. With the help of New Zealanders, we ensure our unique environments and the value of our primary industries are maintained.
Intelligence & Biosecurity Support Services (IBSS) is a directorate that forms part of the Biosecurity New Zealand Branch, and is responsible for providing a range of services that facilitate the coordination of information flows across MPI and improving situational awareness. This directorate is made up of 7 key groups: Biosecurity Support, Intelligence Targeting and Evaluation, Intelligence Analysis, Coordination and Insights, Operational Policy, Biosecurity Digital Pathways and Biosecurity Programmes.
Our team is part of the newly formed Intelligence, Targeting and Evaluation Group. We coordinate and collaborate to inform and act on immediate and long-term risks to the border, across all import pathways. We are a regionally dispersed team of 18, across locations in Auckland, Christchurch and Dunedin.
Me pēhea te tuku tono – How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role, please click on ‘APPLY NOW’ in order to be directed to our website.
On application please submit a current curriculum vitae and a cover letter outlining
- Why you are interested in the role, and
- An overview of how your skills and experience relate to the role.
If you have any questions about the role, please refer to the position description or contact Thérèse Oliver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 09 909 5737.
Applications close Sunday 4th July 2021.
To apply for this role, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you’ll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you’re growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
For more Information: Click here